Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Back in the groove!

Yesterday, after work, I went directly home and started preparing for the Plyometric Cardio Circuit workout. I may need to work on creating a new routine for my evening workouts. I use up so much time preparing and that time will soon be needed for studying.

Typically, I come home and eat something small to get me through the workout. Last night it was 1/2 cup of Kashi GoLean. I've found my stomach gets less upset when I wait about 30 minutes after that small meal before starting the workout. So assuming I don't dilly dally, I'm already looking at 30 minutes passing, then another hour for the workout, and then showering and eating before I start studying. If I were to eat my light meal before leaving work, I'd have the 30 minute drive home and could start as soon as I changed clothes. So that's what I'll try tonight.

I had fun with the Plyometric workout last night. I had adjusted the heart rate monitor up since I'd been working through the beeps anyway. Basically, because this is anaerobic (30sec - 1min intervals) training, my range just needs to be okay before starting the next interval. What occurred to me last night (during the workout) was that while each interval is 30-60 seconds, there isn't a rest between each interval unless I take it myself. There was one time during basketball drills that I got a little dizzy and I was like, whoa - that's not supposed to happen. I checked my watch and I was at 175, which is within my okay range. My guess is that it was higher prior to that. So tonight I'll set it back to 180 and at least then I'll know if I'm working past my range and should rest.

Back to the 'fun' part.

Warm-Up
Jogging, jumping jacks, Heisman, 1-2-3 Heisman, butt kicks, high knees, mummy kicks
I made it through most of the warm-up without stopping AND actually going faster each time! My shins still get a little irritated when I do the high knees as a run, so I'm still doing those as more a speed walking pace. Keep in mind my goal by the end of this 60 days is to be able to complete a warm-up without my heart rate necessitating me to stop. It looks like I'm getting close to that goal!

Main Part 1
Suicide drills, power squats, mountain climbers, ski downs
I freaking rocked the drills and the ski downs, even when they hurt. The climbers were irritating my shins so I slowed those down, which seems to hurt MORE by the way (in a good way of course). I was pretty consistent in getting about 10 Power squats in before puttering out.
I could only do a few scissor runs - more due to lack of muscle power than cardio though. Football sprints are always fun for me. I feel so silly and I think that goofiness gives my brain a break from the intensity going on through the other drills.

Main Part 2
Basketball drills, level 1 drills (4 pushups, 8 plank runs, jump up, repeat), ski abs, in & out abs
Rocked the basketball drills. I really got in the groove of jumping from the bottom which made it easier than ever. Consistently pushed out 2 reps of level 1 drills before losing muscle power. Ski abs and in & outs always make me want to scream. My arms, legs, and core are just quivering at the end of every set.

"Bonus" at end
Jabs, cross jacks, uppercuts, attack
Oh jeez. You know when you've gone full out for so long that your muscles are actually shaking? That was me at the end of this. But I did it. All of it.

Cool down
During the hamstring stretches, I actually had to put a hand on my leg because it was shaking so bad. Wow. As always, felt EXCELLENT when the cool down was over. Drenched in sweat, body quivering and shaking, still a little winded even, but oh so wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment