Monday, July 30, 2012

Cookies!

When I came home this evening I announced, "I'm having a very specific craving for Nilla Wafers." Sweetie replied that she was pretty sure she'd seen how to make those online somewhere. I went in search and sure enough, I found recipes abound! I had narrowed it down to 2, and decided to try the one on Weelicious that used one whole egg instead of 2 egg yolks.



As always, I made sure to read all the instructions before starting. Good thing too, because instruction #1 was to preheat the oven. Instruction #6 was to refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes. This happens all the time and it irritates the bejeezus out of me because it makes zero sense. Anyway, I saw that the flour, baking powder, and salt was to be mixed in a bowl together and set aside to be added in later. I had what I considered to be a genius flash and used a Gladware container for those ingredients. Then I just snapped on the lid and shook away! Perfect and no-mess.

Genius

In the end, I changed too much to say for sure if these didn't replicate Nilla Wafers because of my changes or because that's not what the recipe does. 

Cream sugar & butter 3-4 minutes until fluffy.
Sweetie told me that means it should look like mashed potatoes.
Add the egg & vanilla. I'll use more vanilla next time.

Add the flour mixture and mix till smooth.
The beater licking was SO GOOD!

Supposed to be teaspoon sized balls.
I used a #70 scoop  which is closer to a Tablespoon.

Smash them flat. The dough was sticking to my glass so I
started dipping it in sugar.
In the end, they didn't taste like the Nilla Wafers in my memory. They weren't immensely vanilla-y, which is something I definitely remember from the store-bought version.  They weren't crispy, but that might be due to the larger sizes I made. 

However, they were so delicious and so easy that they are definitely still on the list of cookies to make when I'm having that craving. I will be trying another batch later this week with some changes. I will add more vanilla and make the balls teaspoon sized. They don't expand when cooking so you can tell exactly what size they'll be when they're on the tray.

No comments:

Post a Comment