Sunday, May 5, 2013

100 Push-Ups In 6 Weeks: Week 2

Week 2 of the "100 Push-ups in 6 weeks" program (using the free Android App because I'm cheap and it was out there).

Day 1
5 sets with a 60-second rest in between:
5 push-ups
6 push-ups
4 push-ups
4 push-ups
6 push-ups (or more to max out - my max was 6)

Oompf. I'm torturing myself with the obsession of "perfect" form. Between Week 1 and Week 2, I discovered that my elbows should be bending toward my sides, not away from like I had been doing. I'm not sure what difference it make but it's obvious that I'm using different muscle groups and those muscles are not strong enough to do these push-ups! My hips were dipping, I was doing some sort of wave motion, and I was using all my focus to get that sixth one out.


Day 2
5 sets with a 90-second rest in between:
5 push-ups
6 push-ups
5 push-ups
4 push-ups
7 push-ups (or more to max out - my max was 7)

Back to elbows out. I did the first two of the first set trying to keep my elbows in and it's just not happening. My alternative was to start the program over (again) with the realistic baseline at the newly acquired form. I decided instead to go back to the elbows out form for the first 6 weeks, then start the program over for an additional 6 weeks to work on elbows in. I think the main difference is that I'm working biceps versus triceps. That's what it feels like anyway.

Day 3
5 sets with a 120-second rest in between:
6 push-ups
7 push-ups
5 push-ups
5 push-ups
7 push-ups (or more to max out - my max was 7)

In all honesty, I could have maxed out higher but I forgot that was the objective. I saw 7 and I did 7. It wasn't until later in the evening that it occurred to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment