Wednesday, May 30, 2012

It's How I Roll, Yo

When was the last time you went roller skating?!


A friend of ours went to Landmark Skate Center in April for a kid's birthday party and found out they have a discount night every Wednesday from 6:30-8:30. She invited Sweetie and I to join in the fun and we decided "What the heck, sure!"

That first time back on the floor was a little exhilarating and a little terrifying. I didn't fall but I didn't try anything "special" either. I took the turns cautiously, I never went too fast on the straightaway, and my feet stayed parallel to each other. I sweat up a storm! When we finished, my undershirt was completely soaked. We stopped for ice cream after and the dollars I pulled from my pocket were all soggy. Sweetie calls that "pool money". Ew. It was pretty disgusting but an awesome form of hidden exercise!

We went again on May 2nd. This time I got a little braver. I started crossing foot-over-foot during turns. I got to practice quick swerves and stops due to the amount of pint-sized kamikaze landmines skating that night. I lost my balance much more often. I even fell once. The fall happened fast but apparently not fast enough because I had time to stiffen which made it hurt so bad! I think I pulled the upper part of my hamstring where it meets up with the glute. I'm not very knowledgeable about which body parts are where so that could be completely wrong - but in my world, that's where it hurt.

I think this might turn into a once-a-month thing for us. The two of us can skate for 2 hours AND have twist cones for $10 total. June is right around the corner and I'm already looking forward to it!

We've found another rink, Winnwood Skate Center, that holds 2 Adults Only nights a week which is pretty exciting. It's about double the admission price ($6-7 so still pretty cheap!) and further away (north of the river) and later at night (8:30-11:30). The further drive combined with the later hours will make it less visited by our group but it's great to know it's there! I'm most excited about their Thursday adult night because it's "Old School Skate". They play 70's & 80's music - mostly funk.

No comments:

Post a Comment